Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Change in plans

I debated about writing this post for a while...which is why I've been a little MIA.  I felt like if I wrote it and hit publish, it was a final decision and I wasn't sure I was okay with that yet.  But here goes, final answer:

So, things change.  I'm trying to roll with it...
After some very challenging training runs, I have decided to listen to my body and bow out of my half and full marathons this fall.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super bummed out about this, but at the same time, I know there will be other races and I will just give myself the rest I need now and then get back into my training when my body can cooperate with me!  Head/heart and body were on 2 different pages when it came to running this summer.  Mentally I was completely there, ready to train for and run my first marathon (with a half along the way), even if I was a little anxious.  I think it would be weird if I wasn't a little anxious about running 26.2 miles, right?!?   
Anyway, I pushed through some of the worst summer heat and humidity for some grueling and slower runs, and thought I was coming into the home stretch when my dead legs and cramping stomach let me know in no uncertain terms that this running thing was NOT happening for us right now.  Dealing with some shin splints and a little pain was one thing, but this message was loud and clear...so I (eventually) listened.  Even though I tried to ignore it for a little while and pretend each time I went out for a run that things would be different *this time.*  

I'm still going to go to the expo and pick up my shirt and goodie bag, though :-)  I'll be back, you can count on that!  In the meantime, we'll have more time for family fun this fall!!  (yaaay fall...!)

1 comment:

  1. No worries! You'll do it one day I'm sure. You should sign up for a fun 5K in the meantime.

    Stay safe this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete